Monday, February 25, 2013

Imagination In A Time Of Denial


I’m not sure what I was thinking, as if what’s been static for thirty-eight years would change in the blink of an eye. No, thinking like that is what people keep to themselves, yet, I continuously slip open the side of the drapes, crinkle over the edge of the blinds, and peek, out into the world beyond these walls, where, lo and behold, the same image that’s been etched into these eyes for my entire life, was still as it had always been.

Then I closed my eyes, pondering deep within.  Here, I traveled to some other realm, a place where nothing seemed or felt the same.  The beauty was outrageous, the air so pure and fresh.  My eyes were then reawakened by the unfamiliar smile spawned upon my face.

Quickly I went to the window, pushed the drapes slightly to the side, crinkled over the edge of blind and peered outside.  It was here, at this time, that I realized, for the first time in my life, everything, everything I’d ever known, had changed, and the pinch felt as real as it ever had.

5 comments:

  1. does not sound like a bad trip at all...i am wondering what brought on such change as it seems quite dramatic...dreamy even...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Beautiful and unique! Further comment would be superfluous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an imaginative turn can surely make ideas burn, as a world crumbles and a new one begins, hmm should make that saying into cheery pins haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. powerful. Imagining can often make things possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days feel like everything around has gone stale and one looks for something new and does not see it. And sometimes, something within brought out, opened, and then outside everything transforms into new and fresh.

    Really like this piece. I can see the smile opening up at the end. :)

    ReplyDelete